Wednesday 28 May 2014

Chef's Salad with Tuna and Cocktail Sauce




This week has been really hectic so far with one thing or another. I've been in London for a job interview which involved an overnight stay and, just as I get back, my hubby has to go away for the rest of the week with his work. The expression 'ships that pass in the night' comes to mind but at least I've got the cat to keep me company! So the key theme for our one meal together this week was speed and simplicity.

While scouring the fridge for inspiration I found some salad leaves, some cherry tomatoes, a cucumber and a few eggs and decided that a salad would tick the box for me being something I could make really quickly and easily that wouldn't require a trip to the shops. I added a couple of tins of tuna I'd found lurking in my cupboard and decided to top off the ensemble with an easy homemade dressing of cocktail sauce. 

I have to say that I did take a bit of a risk with the dressing as I hadn't paired tuna and cocktail sauce together before so wasn't entirely sure whether it would work but found the sauce added lots of flavour without overpowering the delicate taste of the tuna - perfect! I've detailed my very, very simple recipe for the sauce below.

I've called this salad 'chef's salad' as, according to Delia Online, a chef's salad is simply a way of using up whatever ingredients are on hand at the time to create a main course salad. So, assuming there are no hard and fast rules and it's a case of throwing together whatever is available then this salad certainly fits the bill for a chef's salad.

The results were stunning so I wanted to share this simple salad idea with you.




Simple Cocktail Sauce Recipe


Note: This recipe is for the British style of cocktail sauce also known as Marie Rose sauce. It produces a thick sauce with creamy, tangy taste. Ketchup can be used in place of the tomato puree and, if using ketchup, the wine vinegar can be left out.

Ingredients:
4 tbsp mayonnaise
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 tsp white wine vinegar

Method:
Mix the mayonnaise and tomato puree in a bowl until combined. Stir in the white wine vinegar.

Easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...